Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Cultural Arts District

Exciting things are happening here. Plans are in the works for downtown Rosenberg to establish Texas' 17th Cultural District, the Arts Center, and the restoration of the Cole Theater! Plays, concerts and an art gallery soon to come. Last night was a meet and greet for the Imperial Arts to present their plans at Another Time Soda Fountain. Over 100 people attended. There was lots of excitement over the proposals.

Last Saturday, Nancy Lee and I drove to the Port Neches/Groves area to take a workshop at TAM with Beaumont artist James Black again. It was fun and I got some hugs from friends I don't see often. This was a paint along (which I'm not fond of) from one photo. It is amazing how many different paintings turn out. No two are alike. To do a really good painting from a photo, I have to feel excited about the subject, have some connection to the place (if it is a landscape) and can put myself there. So I would much rather paint on location or from a photo I took. That is half the fun, composing the painting. You know we artist can move a tree, put a stream or road in  the painting if we want to do so... ah ha.. we artists do make magic happen.

I'll be in the studio painting again tomorrow. The "Young Spoonbill" painting is going to a new home!! I have photo's of pairs of spoonbills building their nests that are on my to do list. First though, I am excited to start a commission. I've had a request to paint another rooster painting simular to one of mine that won a best of show and was sold quickly. Just might get two on the easels. I've never painted exactly the same thing twice so these are bound to be different.

Thank you for taking time to look at my blog.

IN THE STUDIO
A computer class for artists is this Saturday 2/4. 
I'm looking forward to LaNell Arndt teaching another two day workshop starting Monday 2/6. 
James Black has agreed to teach a workshop this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment